Lady Gryphon's Diary

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Lady Gryphon's Diary

Post  Lady Gryphon on Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:59 am

Dear Diary,
It's now less than five months before I turn thirty years old. THIRTY YEARS OLD!?!?! Can you believe it? It's amazing how fast time has flown now that I've been out of school for a while.

Since I've been approaching such a milestone, I've been thinking about getting healthier for a while now. I've never been overweight by anyone's definition (except maybe Hollywood's Smile), but I don't really feel healthy. It doesn't take very long for me to be out of breath or to get tired out. My friends and co-workers keep telling me to just wait until I hit 35 or 40 when my metabolism slows down and then I'll start to gain weight.

I've tried a couple of other things to workout, but I've always gotten bored with them. It's also hard for me to get motivated since my goal is the vague "getting healthier" and not the absolute "lose X pounds". Actually by trying to get healthier I would be more likely to gain weight since muscle weights more than fat.

I really want to be healthy though. I figure it would be easier to get started now while I'm still relatively young to try to get good habits into place. Then I would be less likely to be overweight or have a heart attack or something when I'm 50 or 60.

I really enjoy playing video games so I'm hoping the Wii will help me get started. It offers almost the same amount of fun that I have playing video games, but it gets me off the couch and moving. This might be just what I need to get motivated.

So far I've had the dancing game Helix for about three weeks now and am really enjoying it. I just bought the Wii Fit this Tuesday and have also enjoyed this as well but it doesn't seem to be as much a workout as Helix.

Let's see how this goes!
Lady Gryphon
Personal Trainer
Personal Trainer

Number of posts : 117
Registration date : 2009-02-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Lady Gryphon's Diary

Post  Lady Gryphon on Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:01 pm

Dear Diary,
So I've decided that Saturday will be my exercise "rest day" so I didn't do either Helix or Wii Fit today. I did go into Wii Fit to do the Body Check, but I didn't do any of the fitness exercises. I think I will try to remember to at least do the Body Check everyday just to see what kind of fluctuations I'll get from day to day.

I think Saturday will also be my "record my stats" day so here they are:

Height: 5ft 4in (I won't record this again since I better not be growing any taller Smile )
Weight: 119.3 lbs -- For the week: high 121.7, low 119.3
BMI: 20.36
Wii Fit Age: 37 -- For the week: high 39, low 28
(I think I'm getting more use to the balance tests then anything else)

I thought it was interesting that Wii Fit told me today that my ideal weight is 129 lbs with a BMI of 22. I'm certainly not starving myself or anything so it is most likely what I thought - I need to lose some fat and replace it with muscle which is heavier.
Lady Gryphon
Personal Trainer
Personal Trainer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  BrendaW on Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:52 pm

Lady Gryphon wrote:I really enjoy playing video games so I'm hoping the Wii will help me get started. It offers almost the same amount of fun that I have playing video games, but it gets me off the couch and moving. This might be just what I need to get motivated.

So far I've had the dancing game Helix for about three weeks now and am really enjoying it. I just bought the Wii Fit this Tuesday and have also enjoyed this as well but it doesn't seem to be as much a workout as Helix.

Great Idea doing a "Dear Diary" entry -I think I'll try that too! Anyway, I'm exactly the same way about video games. I love them and have a Xbox 360 & a PS3 and got the Wii just so I could get off the couch and get moving. And I also wanted to comment that I enjoyed Wii fit when I got it but after doing Samba & Helix I haven't really been using it because I feel I'm getting a better workout with those games. Helix is fantastic and I again thank you for posting about it!
BrendaW
Burning up the Wii
Burning up the Wii

Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2009-02-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  minidinosaur on Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:30 pm

actually for your height and weight, u are pretty slim oready!!!Smile how envy. Smile
minidinosaur
Breaking a Sweat
Breaking a Sweat

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2009-02-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lady Gryphon on Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:58 pm

@minidinosaur - I wasn't sure if I should post that information for fear you guys might run me off the forum. Smile I may be reasonably slim, but I'm not very healthy. Actually, several of you are probably quite a bit healthier than I am even if you feel you need to lose weight. I'm really trying to get good exercise habits so I'm counting on you guys to hold me accountable. Smile

Dear Diary,
Well I played Wii Fit for about 1hr 25min today, but I know about 25 of those minutes were spent in that darn bubble balance game. I keep getting caught by that island in the first beginner course. I finished it once, but I haven't been able to do it again.

I unlocked the free step today so I had to try it out. Apparently it's about 10 minutes of just stepping on and off the board in step with a metronome in the wii-mote. I prefer the other step activities since it's more like dancing. I think I have one more aerobic exercise to unlock. From what I heard it's probably the free run.
Lady Gryphon
Personal Trainer
Personal Trainer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  minidinosaur on Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:14 am

np! Smile i just say that cos i think u are quite slim. and yes, when i realise that, i knew it is more for health reason which is also most of the reason why we are here. just that i really envy u for being slim. heehee..... cos i put on 40 lbs and had never been able to shed it off.Sad use to be slim too....Smile

wow. u are working very hard on wii, i am going to do it soon. in an hour time.Smile
minidinosaur
Breaking a Sweat
Breaking a Sweat

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2009-02-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lady Gryphon on Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:42 pm

Dear Diary,
Well, I don't know what I did yesterday but my arms are kind of sore today. If I did Helix yesterday I would understand it better since that is much more an arm movement kind of activity. I did try out the Rhythm Boxing yesterday on Wii Fit so that might be it. I also was playing around with some of my games like Rayman Raving Rabbids TV party and Wii Music just to try them out with the balance board. Both of those do tend to be hard on the arms.

Since my arms weren't in the best shape today I had some trouble doing Helix. It didn't take very long before my arms were tired out so I only spent about 15 min. on it. I decided I shouldn't make the night a total waste so I put in Wii Fit and spent some time on the easier balance games for about 35 min. Overall, I don't feel like I really got much exercise in. On the bright side though, I did have some fun with the balance games. Smile

Since I didn't do much with Helix today, I'll have to decide whether I'll do that or Wii Fit tomorrow. I think I'll wait and see how my arms are feeling. If there are still giving me trouble than I'll probably just stick to my schedule and do Wii Fit.
Lady Gryphon
Personal Trainer
Personal Trainer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lady Gryphon on Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:20 pm

Dear Diary,
I did about an hour of Wii Fit today and I feel like I really did get a good work out. I have been a bit disappointed at how little Wii Fit seemed to make me work and I was starting to consider other alternatives to use instead when I'm not doing Helix. However, after the workout today, I'm feeling better about using it for exercise.

Today I did the soccer balance game to warm up and then I did advanced Hula Hoop, short run and advanced step. When I started the step activity after doing the run, I was actually warm enough to take off my sweatshirt that I usually wear over the rest of my clothes. (it's pretty cold in my house Smile)

I probably did advanced step about 7 or 8 times just because I was trying to get a higher score. I've been having trouble getting a lot of "perfects", but today I think I figured it out. It seems to recognize my move better if I make sure to shift my weight to the foot I'm moving. I kept doing the activity in order to try to perfect my new technique. Smile

I've been thinking that trying to exercise 6 days a week might be a little ambitious so I think I will just do 5 days a week for a while and see how that works out. For this week Tues. was my extra day off which is why I didn't post yesterday.

Alright, talk to you later. Very Happy
Lady Gryphon
Personal Trainer
Personal Trainer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lady Gryphon on Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:42 pm

Dear Diary,
Well my calves are a little sore today from the Wii Fits exercises. Not too much though, but enough to let me know I actually did something. Smile

I did Helix for 35 minutes today. Nothing else to report. Very Happy
Lady Gryphon
Personal Trainer
Personal Trainer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

good for you!

Post  prism68 on Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:30 am

Hi, you have a great goal!

I wish I was that smart at (almost) 30 Smile
Instead, I hit the 35 mark and my metabolism just died overnight. I gained 40 lbs. in short order and toted that around until recently. The health goal is a great idea.

I was thinking My Fitness Coach might be good for setting health-related goals outside of weight loss; have you looked at that?
For instance, being able to do 2 minutes of jumping jacks is one of the 'tests' and I think I only lasted 20 seconds, lol.

Good luck and best wishes!
prism68
Breaking a Sweat
Breaking a Sweat

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2009-02-21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lady Gryphon on Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:52 pm

Thanks for the encouragement!

Before I joined this forum I wasn't thinking about getting My Fitness Coach at all, but you guys are really starting to make me change my mind. It seems like everyone on here really likes it. However, one of my biggest problems is motivation and I know if I'm having fun that I would be more motivated then if I'm just trying to exercise. I'm not quite sure that I'm committed enough yet to try something like My Fitness Coach which seems to be more like an interactive fitness DVD then a game.

I tried fitness DVDs before, but they didn't work out very well. I started out strong for a couple weeks but then I started to make excuses or find other things I would rather do. Of course some of it was I wasn't quite sure if I was doing it right or I might have picked some DVDs that were too high a level for me, but some of it was I just didn't find it fun enough to motivate me to pick it up again. However, if My Fitness Coach tailors itself to the individual person's fitness level, it might be better for me then the DVDs I tried before.

Dear Diary,
Well I did pull out one of my fitness DVDs tonight from the last time I tried to get an exercise regimen together. I actually had a dancing one that I never tried before. There was a point where I had pretty much faded out of doing them before I tried all the DVDs I bought.

I spent about 40 minutes though I actually didn't do the "workout" part of it tonight, but just went through the section in learning the steps. That was enough of a workout without even doing the official workout. Smile Let me tell you though, I feel really uncoordinated. Scratch that. I AM uncoordinated. I can do the simple arm movements in Helix or the stepping on and off the balance board in Wii Fit but don't ask me to move my hips like that because it just won't happen. Smile And doing arm movements with leg movements at the same time just doesn't work very well for me. In advanced step in Wii Fit I usually avoid trying to do the clapping too because that just messes me up. Smile

Well, we'll see if the DVDs will be good supplement to my other activities or if they will just go back to gathering dust again. Smile
Lady Gryphon
Personal Trainer
Personal Trainer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

variety

Post  prism68 on Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:22 am

I have a billion (slight hyperbole) DVDs, too, some still in plastic wrap. It is a good point that some are just too hard. I was doing the Beachbody "Slim in Six" series and just rocking right along until I hit the last one. I did it 1 and 1/4 times and just quit. I gave up on that and am now going back looking for the ones that are shorter (that one was an hour) and less intense.

Have you seen the ones that you choose which segments you want? I have three like that and think I'm going to use those for a while because you can do as little as 10 minutes at a time. One is even in ONE minute segments and you just choose which part of your body and how many minutes you want to work.

I have a dance one like that, but I am so clumsy with it I end up feeling foolish. It is good to learn yourself and your post made me realize I was discouraged from my recent exercising because I was trying to do something over my level. Back to basics for me this week Smile
prism68
Breaking a Sweat
Breaking a Sweat

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2009-02-21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lady Gryphon on Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:07 pm

Actually I have about five DVDs from the "10 Minute Solutions" series. I think I bought a beginner one first and found that interesting which is probably why I bought the other four (also I think amazon was having a sale Smile ). Since 10 minutes alone really isn't enough of a workout I usually did a couple of segments but I was also trying to balance the body parts so that I would do legs / lower body one day and arms / upper body the next. I think that's when I started to get into some DVDs that were beyond my skill level since I needed more segments in certain areas then the original beginner DVD gave me. After that I just got bored and frustrated. Not a good combination. Smile

If My Fitness Coach has a wide variety of activities and can be tailored for my particular fitness level and goals, then that might be a better option then dusting off my fitness DVDs or attempting to "Dance Away the Fat" also known as "Tripping Over My Own Dang Feet" or "Staring At The TV In Awe" in order to get more variety. Smile

Dear Diary,
It's Saturday Stat Day!! See below for all my wonderful statistical information. Smile Now that I have over a week's worth of data from the Wii Fit Body Test, I'm wondering if I should continue doing it everyday or just do it once a week (or any day I'm doing Wii Fit). I'll have to see how annoying it is to pull out the balance board just for a body test when I'm not going to use it for anything else.

Wii Fit Stats for the Week:
Weight: average 119.27, high 119.9, low 118.8
BMI: average 20.36, high 20.47, low 20.29
Wii Fit Age: average 31.71, high 33, low 28
(It seems the "age" is a lot more consistent now that I'm more use to the balance tests.)

Food Stats for the Week:*
Calories: average 1750, high 1964, low 1415
Fat: average 47.15g, high 58.6g, low 36.6g
Sodium: average 3028.64mg, high 3920.9mg, low 2351mg

*disclaimer: The food statistics are only as accurate as Lady Gryphon's skill at estimating serving sizes. Wink
Lady Gryphon
Personal Trainer
Personal Trainer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lady Gryphon on Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:37 pm

Dear Diary,
I did an hour of Wii Fit today. I warmed up with that one balance game where you have to get the balls in the holes (can't remember the name right now). Then I did the super hula hoop and the short run followed by the basic step and advanced step.

I did both the basic step and advanced step several times. I finally got to 4 stars (631 points) on the advanced step cheers but I was only able to get 3 stars on the basic step. Sad Oh well, better luck next time.
Lady Gryphon
Personal Trainer
Personal Trainer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lady Gryphon on Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:12 pm

Dear Diary,
I did 35 minutes of Helix today.
Lady Gryphon
Personal Trainer
Personal Trainer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  BrendaW on Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:01 pm

That super hula hoop one is really a great workout! And I really enjoy doing the advanced step too. Which is kind of funny because I normally don't enjoy step type workouts but there is just something fun about doing it with the Miis. I do plan on using the wii fit again once my obsession with Helix ends (hopefully not anytime soon)!
BrendaW
Burning up the Wii
Burning up the Wii

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lady Gryphon on Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:03 pm

I think the Hula Hoop really helps with my abs. I've been doing the 3 minutes, but I just unlocked the 6 minutes the other day so I think I might attempt that tomorrow. I like the step in Wii Fit because it's set to music so it feels to me like dancing. I also keep trying to beat my old scores. Smile

Dear Diary,
I did 30 minutes of Helix today.
Lady Gryphon
Personal Trainer
Personal Trainer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  BrendaW on Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:44 pm

It does feel like dancing and that is what makes it more fun! My daughter loves it too!
BrendaW
Burning up the Wii
Burning up the Wii

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lady Gryphon on Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:31 pm

Dear Diary,
I did 40 minutes of Wii Fit today.

Activities:
Soccer balance game (warm up)
Hula Hoop (6 min)
Basic Step
Advanced Step
Lady Gryphon
Personal Trainer
Personal Trainer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lady Gryphon on Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:27 pm

Dear Diary,
I did 30 minutes of Helix today. I decided that since I wasn't able to exercise on Thursday that I would exercise today instead. I'll have to see how that works out with my schedule next week though. I don't think I've worked out the same days two weeks in a row yet. Smile So much for a set routine.

Wii Fit Stats for Saturday 03/14/2009:
Weight: 118.6
BMI: 20.25
Wii Fit Age: 33

Food Stats for the Week:
Calories: average 1743, high 1906, low 1367
Fat: average 41.6g, high 54.4g, low 28.4g
Sodium: average 2562.8mg, high 3040.8, low 1981.3
Lady Gryphon
Personal Trainer
Personal Trainer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lady Gryphon on Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:51 pm

Dear Diary,
I did 1 hour of Wii Fit today. The 10 minute Hula Hoop opened up today, but I think I'm going to stick with the 6 minute for a little longer. I also opened up the Island Run, but I don't know if I'll do that yet or not. I was actually surprised that the short run didn't seem to kick my behind as badly as it usually does.Smile Maybe I'm getting use to it.

On a high score note, I somehow (don't ask me how, I think I got lucky) got through all the levels on that balance board game with the balls on a platform that you have to get through the holes. I think there were 8 levels. Anyway, that gave me 4 stars. cheers

Activities:
balance board game with the balls (can't remember the name, gotta look that up - warmup)
Hula Hoop (6 minutes)
Short Run
Basic Step
Advanced Step
Lady Gryphon
Personal Trainer
Personal Trainer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lady Gryphon on Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:49 pm

Dear Diary,
I did 45 minutes of Helix today. I only have 3 more songs on Normal to do, but I think I'll try to get more at Superior (100%) before moving on to the Hard songs. Currently I only have 8 songs at Superior and the rest at 'A'.
Lady Gryphon
Personal Trainer
Personal Trainer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lady Gryphon on Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:58 pm

Dear Diary,
I did 55 minutes of Wii Fit today.

Activities:
Tightrope Walking
Penguin ice-burg fishing thing
Hula hoop (10 minutes)
Basic Step
Advanced Step
Lady Gryphon
Personal Trainer
Personal Trainer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lady Gryphon on Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:53 pm

Dear Diary,
I did 30 minutes of Helix today. I finished all of the medium songs. I might try a hard song next time. I chickened out today. Smile I also want to try to get all the medium songs perfect.
Lady Gryphon
Personal Trainer
Personal Trainer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lady Gryphon on Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:02 pm

Dear Diary,
Well it was a bad week food-wise... or good depending on how you look at it. Smile There were a number of treats available this week that I don't buy for myself since I know they aren't good to have on a regular basis. Every once in a while a treat or two is nice to have. I know this is not going to happen very often so I'm not too worried about how badly I ate this week.

Wii Fit Stats for Saturday 03/21/2009:
Weight: 119.7
BMI: 20.44
Wii Fit Age: 27

Food Stats for the Week:
Calories: average 1898, high 2298, low 1544
Fat: average 56.7g, high 80g, low 39.4g
Sodium: average 2630.7mg, high 3733.1mg, low 2300mg

Last edited by Lady Gryphon on Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lady Gryphon
Personal Trainer
Personal Trainer